I don’t see the humor here, but two different people emailed this to me so I think there’s some sort of legal requirement that I blog it. . . .

1. Silly me, I avoided emailing you this because I thought you'd think it frivolous.

2. sameer says:

i think more interesting is that on the same day, two nerd-adored cartoons had statistics-relevant jokes:
    what's the joint probability density function of… whatever those two random variables are?

3. Brent says:

Usually the "best" punchline on xkcd comics is in the alt text (hover your mouse over the comic at: If people were sending you the direct link to the image they weren't even giving you a chance to read the whole joke.

4. ZBicyclist says:

The moment I read your comment I guessed this was likely to be xkcd.

There are two types of people in the world:

(1) those who pass around links to LOL xkcd comics, and

(2) those who receive these links and go "huh"?

5. Matt Stevens says:

For me, the cartoon was a bit of a shock because it came out the very morning I introduced boxplots in my intro stat course. I mentioned this in class, and showed them the cartoon, and they seemed genuinely amused.

6. Jeremy Miles says:

Compare and contrast with the scatterplot blog response:

7. J DeLong says:

That friggin cracked me up when I read it. I love the play on 'significant other' and 'statistical significance.' Come on Gellman, we've read your books, we know you a bit literal, but, in the words of my yard man, 'them shits funny.'

8. jrhs says:

Thank you, J DeLong. I thought maybe I should get a CAT scan of my "old" brain. ^_^

9. Bruce Tabor says:

Well she's clearly not part of his normal distribution of casual dates. I suspect a dependent relationship, clearly conditional on some prior interaction…

10. Braddy says:

I recieve something like this every day, I don't see any humor here too.

11. May says:

The sad thing is that they will probably end up getting married and staying together until they die.