“Lots of hype around pea milk, with little actual scrutiny”

Paul Alper writes:

Had no idea that “Pea Milk” existed, let alone controversial. Learn something new every day.

Indeed, I’d never heard of it either. I guess “milk” is now a generic word for any white sugary drink? Sort of like “tea” is a generic word for any drink made from a powder steeped in boiling water.

1. jrc says:

If you can’t decide between cow milk and pea milk, remember: there is always cowpea milk!

It has the organoleptic properties people/cows/peas need.

• jrkrideau says:

I’d suggest tossing the cow peas and maize in a pot with a bit of water, boil well and eat. Why torture good food?

Ditto with the peas.

But then, I have never understood why anyone over the age of about 3 years old needs milk. I except milk in recipies and heaven only knows what pea milk is going to do in a sauce.

Eat cheese if necessary?

• Paul Alper says:

JRC’s reference is to a 2001 article so pea milk and other versions have been under the radar much longer than I imagined.

2. Charles says:

Sort of like “tea” is a generic word for any drink made from a powder leaves steeped in boiling water.

powder is to broad – it would include instant coffee and hot chocolate…

3. Paul Alper says:

Followers of Andrew’s blog will also learn a great deal by viewing which is a goldmine of info about medical/health/nutrition matters. The following is from its article about pea milk by Joy Victory and is from Yoni Freedhof:

“Just because it’s milk doesn’t mean it’s healthy, and just because it’s white doesn’t mean it’s ‘milk,’”

4. zbicyclist says:

I am continually amused by the idea that soy milk, almond milk, etc. are somehow healthy and natural.

Healthy is questionable — even the linked article is skeptical of calcium supplementation.

Natural is a complete crock. These are industrial products, so more “natural” than the processed food in the center of the grocery store.

Now, if you are going to tell me all the ways in which cow’s milk in the US has been industrialized, I’m not going to argue with you.

5. Carlos Ungil says:

> I guess “milk” is now a generic word for any white sugary drink?

Wouldn’t the third definition below cover this use? (Taken from the first edition of the Webster’s Dictionary, published in 1828.)

1. A white fluid or liquor, secreted by certain glands in female animals, and drawn from the breasts for the nourishment of their young.
    2. The white juice of certain plants.
    3. Emulsion made by bruising seeds